Dear Waters,

 Hello there,

I don't know the purpose or the reason of this. I don't have any possible reasoning as to why my mind made me get up from bed at midnight, a few minutes after your birthday to write this letter that will probably end up in the unsent folder of my laptop.

I wish there was a reason. Maybe it was the thought that it was our tradition. Something we did every year when the skies started to rain more, the last month before the Christmas carols surface from the vaults or just the day we ask each other how we are and then a few replies later our conversation disappears. Maybe it was the idea that there was someone that could appreciate the smallest idea of remembering you despite not having any form of communication in the last 364 days that had passed.

Maybe it was just me or maybe I'm just overreacting. But nonetheless, after almost 10 years of greeting you for your birthday, you seemed to have decided not to answer or give any reaction about it.

I have to admit, of all people I have met, yours is the one that I do not have to write in my calendar. The moment the month changes, July's last day finishes and August arrives like a cold wind or the smell of the first rain in a while, yours is the first one I remember.

That special tradition, idea in my head seems to continue to live on. I'd like to believe that it would be the same for you. But it seems as though I have been proven wrong.

But like mine, I cannot think of any possible reason as to why my message did not seem to reach you this year. There was no amount of shock or surprise, not an ounce of reaction. Maybe that's better. Maybe you didn't notice from the amount of people sending you the same message as mine. Maybe you were busy or maybe spending time with family or a partner. Or maybe you have finally put a seal in the story that we used to share.

It's ironic. When I tell someone about you, I always say you were one of the best friends I had at the time we met. That season or version of me will always have the version of you. And as the years passed, that changed, which I can't blame you. It was my fault, I know.

Maybe, the world spun already. And that part of me should continue on to. Maybe that's the end of it. That long tradition. Conflicted by what to do next, should this be the end? Maybe it should. Everyone is bound to forget or to let go of people they don't deem to be beneficial to their lives.

But know this, no matter how many years (another 10 years or more), when August arrive, I don't think of Taylor Swift or the upcoming Christmas caroling, but rather it will forever be engraved in my mind; your birthday.

I hope you have everything you prayed for. You were a great friend, someone worth remembering I suppose.

But, until then, in a year's time, after another 364 days, talk to you later Agustus.

-Hazel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A "Fourth of July" Short Story

Delicate