"If" (A Poem Inspired by Rudyard Kipling's IF)

 "If I can"

If I can stand up, despite the heavy feeling

Without being weighed down

By isolation and hiding behind the mask of working,

Then maybe a smile will change this frown.


If I can lift myself up

Without pulling others with me when I fall,

Then maybe I have my own backup

And not be alone when I crawl.


If I can join them in drinking,

Maybe I can see myself again

Without my body wanting a shift of closing,

Maybe I can be their sister without pain.


If I can chat up a storm

Without overthinking the words and phrases

Maybe the sentences will form

A dialogue without phases.


If I can write this poem

Without tears falling down,

Then maybe I can slowly show'em

How I am still me, and is still. around.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Waters,

A "Fourth of July" Short Story